Data Science Academic Programs
Certificate in High Performance Computing
The purpose of the Certificate in High Performance Computing is to recognize the expertise gained by UH graduate students in the course of their studies with a specific annotation in their transcript. The certificate requires the student to take 4 graduate courses, to be chosen among already existing, 3-credit-hours regular courses offered by University of Houston departments, and 3 additional 1-credit-hour short courses chosen among those offered by the Hewlett Packard Enterprise Data Science Institute.
Graduate Certificate in Data Science in Engineering
This program is open to both students currently enrolled in a graduate program at the University of Houston and those who have completed a baccalaureate degree and wish to enroll only in the graduate certificate. The program can be completed in two semesters. It consists of 5 courses (15 credit hours) with a three-course common data science core followed by two domain-specific data-science-oriented courses. One of the latter two courses can be project-oriented or an internship in a Houston area company supervised by a UH faculty member. Internships are coordinated by the HPE DSI.
Data Science Minor for Undergraduate Students
The data science minor is designed to prepare students in different disciplines to employ computational thinking and data science tools to solve practical problems in their areas of expertise. The coursework spans introduction to computer programming and statistical data analysis, as well as hands on training in pattern recognition, data mining and machine learning.
This minor is not available to computer science majors or computer science minors.
Please visit the department of Computer Science website for more details and contact information.
Data & Society Minor
This new minor, set to launch in fall 2020, is in partnership with the Honors College. The minor combines critical thinking with real world engagement to create relevant skills for interpreting and understanding data science.
Other Programs Related to Data Science
- MS in Computer Science - Data Analytics Track (Computer Science)
- MS in Statistics and Data Science (Mathematics)
- MS in Business Analytics (Bauer College of Business)
- MS in Information System Security (College of Technology)
- Ph.D. in Measurement, Quantitative Methods, and Learning Sciences (Education)
- Graduate Certificate in Data Analytics for Condition and Performance Monitoring of Engineered Systems (Subsea Engineering)
- DASH: Data Analytics in Student Hands (Honors College)
- Undergraduate Certificate in Quantitative Economics (Economics)
- Undergraduate Minor in Quantitative Social Science (Political Science)
- Graduate Certificate in Applied Data Analytics in Accounting (Bauer College of Business)
There are several data-science intensive courses offered by various UH departments.
Data Science Training Courses Offered by the HPE Data Science Institute
- Machine Learning: Data Analytics & Deep Learning
- Deep Learning using TensorFlow
HPE DSI Sponsored Courses
- HPE DSI Sponsored Courses
- COSC 6336 - Natural Language Processing
- COSC 6380 - Digital Image Processing
- COSC 6397 - Introduction to Data Mining and Machine Learning
- MATH 6397 - Mathematics of Machine Learning
Data Science Oriented Courses
Here is a list of data science related courses currently offered by departments at the University of Houston.