Tutorials and Courses
HPE DSI awards digital Badges to students who complete and pass each of our courses. These courses do not affect students' University GPA or Grade Point.
We recommend you follow the HPE DSI course roadmap when picking courses.
- Free for active University of Houston System (UHS) students, staff or faculty
- $250/course badge for non-UH individuals
How does it work?
101 Intro to HPC is designed for students beginning their training and is a prerequisite for all other HPE DSI courses. After completing this, a student can choose one or more script programming courses like 211 R , 212 Python and or 221 Julia. 201 C++ provides a scientific programming background for most users. Students interested in parallel programming should have knowledge of low-level programming language such as C++. Upon completing 212 Python, 211 R , 271 Excel and/or 221 Julia, students can take the 261 Principles of Data Management course, followed by 311 Machine Learning and then 312 Deep Learning. 212 Python is a prerequisite for 261, 311 and 312. 311 Machine Learning is a prerequisite for 312 Deep Learning.
It is recommended to follow the Course Roadmap, however students are free to choose any courses after completing 101 Intro to HPC.
UH HPC Clusters Introduction
This 90 minute weekly, live course covers introduction to connecting to UH clusters and running jobs in the cluster, and provides an opportunity to ask questions and learn about the latest HPE DSI HPC systems updates.
- 221 Data Science and Scientific Computing using Julia
Mon Wed 01/24 - 03/02 From 1:00 PM To 2:30 PM
- 101 Introduction to cluster computing: Linux, shell scripting, queuing systems, cluster architecture
Mon Wed 01/24 - 03/02 From 10:30 AM to 12:00 PM
- 211 R for Data Science
Mon Wed 01/24 - 03/02 From 2:30 PM to 4:00 PM
- 271 Excel for Applied Data Science
Tues Thur 01/25 - 03/03 From 9:00 AM to 10:30 AM
- 311 Introduction to Machine Learning
Tues Thur 01/25 - 03/03 From 2:30 PM to 4:00 PM
- 261 Principles of Data Management
Tues Thur 01/25 - 03/03 From 01:00 PM to 02:30 PM
- 212 Scientific Programming with Python
Tues Thur 01/25 - 03/03 From 10:30 AM to 12:00 PM
- 251 Data Visualization using ParaView and Tableau
Mon Wed 03/07 - 04/18 1:00 PM - 2:30 PM
- 201 Scientific Computing in C++
Mon Wed 03/07 - 04/18 From 10:30 AM to 12:00 PM
- 312 Introduction to Deep Learning
Tues Thur 3/08 to 4/19 2:30 PM to 4:00 PM
- 303 GPU Programming
Tues Thur 03/08 - 04/19 From 10:30AM to 12:00 PM
- Login to Moodle to sign up for each course (access this link via campus WIFI or the UH VPN).
- Complete the Non-UH Main Campus Affiliates HPE DSI course registration form at least three (3) weeks before course commencement. This will allow adequate time for processing of your course access credentials before the first-class meeting.
- Complete the payment of the course fees ($250.00 per course) at least three (3) weeks before course commencement. The URL and payment links are available on the course page. This will allow adequate time for processing of your course access credentials before the first-class meeting.
**You may email us at email@example.com for additional information.
Link your HPE DSI Badges to a Badgr account and share them on online platforms (e.g., LinkedIn). Create a Badgr account at badgr.io if you don’t already have one.
- Enter the sign in credentials for your Badgr account in the Moodle Backpack page to request to connect.
- If successful, the backpack status will change to “Verification pending”.
- Check the email account you registered with Badgr for a verification email from HPE DSI.
- Click on the verification link in the email to confirm and activate the connection of your Moodle backpack to your Badgr backpack.
- If successful, the link will take you to your Moodle Backpack page and the status will change to "connected".
- Go to the “manage my badges” page, where you will see a list of all your earned HPE DSI Badges.
- Click on the specific HPE DSI Badge you want to share; the link will take you to a details page about the Badge.
- Click on the "Add to Backpack" button.
- If successful, you will be taken back to the “manage my badges” page, which will now display an “Added badge to backpack” notice. You will also receive an email from Badgr noting that you have earned this Badge.
- Sign in to your badgr.io account.
- Select the Badge you want to share from the list.
- Click on “Share” to generate a URL or link it to social platforms; Click on "Download" to save it on your computer device.